One more reason Frogtown Farm is important!
“According to the new UN report, major changes are needed in our food, agriculture and trade systems, with a shift toward local small-scale farmers and food systems recommended.
Even as the United States government continues to push for the use of more chemically-intensive and corporate-dominated farming methods such as GMOs and monoculture-based crops, the United Nations is once against sounding the alarm about the urgent need to return to (and develop) a more sustainable, natural and organic system.That was the key point of a new publication from the UN Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) titled“Trade and Environment Review 2013: Wake Up Before It’s Too Late,” which included contributions from more than 60 experts around the world.”
Re-posted from Popular Resistance: Read Original Here
The soil tests are back from the lab. The soil is safe, but needs some work. Tests were done by Braun Intertec, soil scientist Dr. Jay Bell, Soil and Plant Laboratories, Inc., and Earth Fortification Supplies Company.
The reports tell us:
- The soil is good enough for grass to grow
- The existing soil is safe for growing food
- Existing soil needs to be ripped to loosen it
- Adding 660 gallons of compost tea will add needed life into the soil
- Growing areas will need 2″ of compost added each year
- To grow food well on 3 acres the farm will need to add: 400 yards of Compost, 1,056 lbs Soil Sulfur, 792 lbs Blood Meal, 1,320 lbs Feather Meal, 1,320 lbs Bone Meal, 924 lbs Potassium sulfate, and 660 lbs Magnesium Sulfate
With the local composting and farming expertise in the Frogtown community, building the soil up to these recommendations will likely be a relatively easy task. Buy and have greenwaste compost delivered, spread with a bunch of community volunteers, till into the soil, plant food. Good news!
Do you compost? Do you want to help build the soil? Let us know as the soil building plan is being written. We would like to include you in the plan to help on-going soil building.
Soil Reports: Braun Intertec Soil Report, Dr. Jay Bell Soil Report, Soil and Plant Lab Soil Amendment Report, Earthfort Soil Food Web Report